All certification exams are designed to test knowledge and skills required to perform essential duties with minimal acceptable competence. All research was conducted under the guidance of the Technical Certification Program Committee and PEARL staff. All test questions are designed to measure at least one area of knowledge or skill that is required to perform an essential task.
All PEARL exams are given in a test format utilizing a variety of exam question types. The following are question formats used in the exam: multiple choice, multiple response, pull-down list, fill in the blank, matching, hotspot, drag and drop, and ranking formats. Questions may have one, two or three correct answers. The exam does not utilize essay, true/false, or yes/no questions. These objective formats allow for a greater coverage in content for a given amount of testing time and improve competency measurement reliability.
Exam Content Areas (ECAs)
Exam Content Areas (ECAs) contain a Knowledge or Skill that is required to perform the Essential Duties for that specific Level. All of the Exam Content Areas contain important Knowledge and Skills required when performing the Essential Duties of an electrical equipment reconditioning technician. However, the test designers felt that some content areas were of higher importance, thus, not all of the content areas are equally weighted on the exam.
Exam Payments and Fee Details
Certification payment is required with an individual’s application. If an individual’s application is cancelled by applicant or denied by PEARL, an application administrative fee will still be charged.
PEARL Level I Certification Exam: $225.00
- Level I Certification Renewal Fee (good for 3 years) is $75
- Level I Certification Reactivation Fee (if within 1 year of due date) is $125
- Level I Retake Fee is $225
PEARL Level II Certification Exam: $325.00
- Level II Certification Renewal Fee (good for 3 years) is $75
- Level II Certification Reactivation Fee (if within 1 year of due date) is $125
- Level II Retake Fee is $325
- Application Administrative Fee: $75.00 (Charged if application is denied or cancelled by applicant)
- Application Administrative Fee: $50.00 (Charged if applicant’s supervisor fails to submit approval of employee’s application within 30 days of application submission)
- Application Administrative Fee: $50.00 (Charged if applicant fails to schedule AND complete within 90 days of supervisor approval)